What is EMP/HEMP?
An electromagnetic pulse (EMP) is a short burst of electromagnetic energy. Such a pulse may originate from a natural occurrence or man-made and can occur as a radiated, electric, or magnetic field or a conducted electric current, depending on the source.
A large scale EMP effect can be produced by a single nuclear explosion detonated high in the atmosphere. This method is referred to as High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP).
All of our HEMP Protected Modules go through a design phase encompassing a mindset that emphasizes open-ended problem solving and encourages creation, precisely built, and rigorously tested under one roof to give the client a complete package. TRITON DEFENSE is creating protection for our nations most vulnerable assets.
Electromagnetic pulses from nuclear blast miles in the sky could overwhelm the electric grid and electronic devices much as a lightning surge damages equipment
3 Waves of Electromagnetic Pulse
Induces extremely high voltages and currents into electrical and electronic systems
Destroys most unprotected electrical, electronic and power systems
A nuclear device detonated at an altitude of 30 miles above the earth could generate an electromagnetic pulse strong enough to damage or destroy electronics within an area of about 720,000 square miles. At higher altitudes the damage would affect even larger areas.
How to protect
Fixed ground-based command, control, communications, computer and intelligence (FGBC4I) systems require network interoperability during and after exposure to HEMP environments.
- HEMP-hardened electrical parameter barrier for mission critical military operations to ensure system survivability during a HEMP event.
- An electromagnetic barrier that will prevent or limit HEMP or localized EMP fields or conducted transients from entering the shielded area.
- The shield and all points of entry (POE) must be treated properly to maintain shield integrity.
- Must be hardened to provide at least 80 dB attenuation in the plane wave field from 10 MHz to 1.5 GHz and magnetic attenuation of 2 dB at 1 kHz rising to 80 dB at 10 MHz in accordance with MIL-STD-125-1 and -2.
Four-Step Process of Electromagnetic Hardening
- Define your threat of concern
- Define the vulnerability of your systems to Electromagnetic Threats
- Create an Electromagnetically Hardened environment around the boundaries of the vulnerable systems
- Maintain the Electromagnetically Hardened environment over the functional and operational life-cycle of the systems
TRITON DEFENSE understands EMP hardening design and integration. There are many complexities involved in creating EMP hardened facilities and making them seamlessly integrate with the facility mission. Selecting the right partner is key. We have detailed training and qualification checklists to ensure that design, fabrication, and installation partners will be able to perform to the exacting standards that EMP hardening requires. In times of uncertainty, you need to rely on your EMP hardened facilities. TRITON DEFENSE delivers.
THREAT ASSESSMENTReview Clients requirements and whiteboard discussions lead to greater understanding of conceptual needs based on all Hazards Conditions become the catalyst to the design.
DESIGNOur Engineering / Design Team then starts pulling together equipment and information needed to begin creating a 3D Concept Model ensuring that all required equipment fits properly in the space.
CLIENT REVIEWWalk through 3D models and animation with the Design / Engineering team to approve Conceptual drawings and functionality.
ENGINEERINGThe Threat Assessment and compiled client information becomes the baseline of Engineering efforts and serves as the Vision forward.
Test & Validation
TRITON DEFENSE has created Exclusive Manufacturing Specifications, specially designed for our Flexible Modular Designs. Our Specifications were developed to create purpose-built Hardware that meets and exceeds Mill Standards MIL-STD 188-125-1 and MIL-STD 188-125-2
FEMA IPAWS Modules
TRITON DEFENSE’s manufacturing expertise takes advantage of decades of experience in Engineering, Design, and Development to create a proven blend of specifications with exceptional EMP performance. Our refined Manufacturing Specifications are truly modular by design.
Various types of HEMP PROTECTED MODULES AVAILABLE
- Power Generation
- Mechanical Module
- Living Quarters
- Nucelar Weapon
- Improvised Nuclear Device
- Lost/Stolen Source
- Radiological Dispersion Device Attack
- Weapon Accident
- Power Plant
Human Disease Outbreak
- Pandemic Outbreak
- Foreign Animal Disease
Other Events with Environmental Impacts
- Improvised Explosive Device
- Cyber Attack
- Blister Agent
- Nerve Agent
- Toxic Industrial Chemical
Chemical and Oil Releases
- Oil Spill
- Transportation Accident
- Industrial Accident